This link will bring you to the Google Drive folder that contains all of our lessons and documents for this school year.
Complete this form after each Socratic Seminar that we do in class.
The goals of this card sort are to…
- …define all of our categories of evidence.
- …classify evidence into the appropriate category.
PHASE I: define
- Take out all of the pieces in the envelope. Put the small black pieces to the side.
- Line up your words LIKE THIS (click to see picture).
- Guess which definition goes with which evidence type.
- Check your answers by clicking here.
PHASE II: write
- Write the definitions on the paper you received when you got to class.
PHASE III: classify
- Take one of the small black cards and read it. Do you think this is direct or circumstantial evidence? Put it underneath the appropriate card.
- Complete this same procedure for each of the black cards. You are only looking at direct and circumstantial right now.
- Raise your hand when you are done. I will walk over and have a short discussion with you.
- After the discussion, write 1-2 good examples on the paper where you wrote the definitions.
- Remove all black cards.
- Repeat the procedure above, but now ask yourself whether this is individual or class evidence. Re-sort the black cards into these two categories.
- We don’t need to have any more discussions — you can finish the rest on your own.
- Repeat for physical / documentary / testimonial.
- Repeat for observation / perception (please note that these are not evidence types, so there are many cards that won’t make sense here).
PHASE IV: clean up
- Please put ALL of the cards back in the envelope and neatly place it back on the lab table.
- Go back to your normal table.